Thursday, April 7, 2011

Divine appointment

After watching the movie, The Adjustment Bureau, it is only natural to wonder how much of life is God and His angels secretly nudging you in a certain direction while you think you are making independent decisions. For example, yesterday morning I had a "divine appointment." I thought that I had spontaneously decided to go to a playground and have coffee with my wife while my son played, but in retrospect, I wonder if God "adjusted" my thinking so that I would decide that. Because it is now obvious to me that I was meant to be there because what happened could not just be random coincidence.
First of all, there was only one other boy playing on the playground this morning, and he "just happened" to be the same age as my son. My 4 year old son Kaiden was his usual outgoing self and was happily playing with him within 4 seconds. The boy's mother was nearby, enjoying the morning while walking her dog and keeping an eye on her son. We didn't plan on talking to her, but when we heard Kaiden say to her son, "Can I have a play-date with you someday?" and the mother overheard too, we were "forced" into a conversation. Kids have a way of opening doors for us to talk with other adults, because when kids are so cute and honest, all the "walls" seem to come down as we adults get lost in the memory of our childhood and innocence. So we talked with her, as our kids continued to play, unaware that this was all a big setup for our divine appointment.
By the time we were done talking, we had a new friend that had just moved here from Washington state, was looking for a playmate for her son (who will be going to the same school as Kaiden), and has a husband who owns a business that needs to hire someone right away. We have a son who also needs more friends, I need a job, and I would love to know someone with professional "connections" in Washington in case we end up moving there. So, it seems that God had it all worked out for that meeting. Even if the job part doesn't work out, it shows me that God is thinking about me and cares about my needs. The way He works things out in such a mysterious way is so beautiful. They are beautiful adjustments. And that was my daily patch of Sonlight.
Today I get to meet the husband and see if he wants to give me the job. I am a little nervous since I don't have any experience in this field, but I have a sneaky feeling that God might simply "adjust" his requirements, and be willing to train me anyway. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment